Skrevet av Emne: Det er nok sikkert nok  (Lest 322 ganger)

Sissel

• Gjest
Det er nok sikkert nok
« på: 24 September 2005, 20:14:49 »
Fikk en mail fra en finsk oppdretter som hadde hatt flere kull på sin B katt, via en tysk oppdretter som jeg mailer med. Du får ta den for det den er, en oppdretters erfaringer. Skal se om jeg får limt inn den her:

I try to write in this point little bit that your friend gets little bit information about my experiences. =)

So Dafi is B bloodgroup female. I have had 4 litters with A stud with her. There hasen´t  been any problems with birth or feeding babies. But it´s very, very important that kittens are away from moms milk bar first 16 hours minimum. Myself I feed babies first 20 hours by hand just for sure. Some breeders use some kind of "clothes" in mom cat, but myself I feel it most safe to keep them away from mom. Mom can lick them backsides and other place too when I keep kitten in my hand. Normally I keep babies in small "travel box" (which is well desinfected) and warming pillow under it that the kittens are in warm.

Mom misses of course her babies lot of and can cry after them, but Dafi at least knows that she gets thme later back. She just watch me carefully when I feed babies. They usually wants milk 1½ -2  hours - you can know when they are hungry when they cry and are awake and search for mom. If they sleep they are satisfied and can be alone. I don´t use feeding tube - I feel it´s not the safest way. If you put it to lungs it´s dangerous. Feeding babies is not so hard work but you just need to be extra peaceful and careful how you feed them.

I use KMR myself (it´s the best one we have and milk is like normal milk... it need to mix with water well, but it does quite easily). Then I use 1 ml syringe. I have found some syringes better than others. It has to move well without stops when it can easily start to go to the end too fast and kitten gets too much milk in mouth at the same time. I have myself about 100 1 ml syringes in store at home =) Then I found one fantstic help from my vet. It´s from plastic and can put to the syringe. It´s actually nipple canyl to cows =) But it works perectly and I don´t want to give up them. I have only few of them but I put them to hot water after feeding the babies. So I can use them again.

Babies normally learn quite fast to eat from syringe. First times it´s little bit learning, but some babies almost eat whole syringe later =) And comes after it. They learn also mom nipples without any problems after hand feeding. I normally sit on the floor and I have clean pillow cover in my lap and kitten is on it. They eat around (1,5) - 2 - 3,5 ml once. They don´t want to take more milk and turns the head in other side when they are full of milk. Some babies drinks more than other. I weight the kittens every 3 feedings around so I can easily to see how the weight goes. They have never lost the weight.

And of course I normally pee the babies with soft cotton.

I have found that hand feeding kittens "loves you maybe more than normal feeded babies". They likes humans lot of.

They can get immune colostrum milk from mom after 20 hours too but not so much. But please not to control kittens pees after that when they are in they mom!!!! I normally do this about hour after they has been in mom and first 12 hours at least I watch them just for sure that all is ok. If the urine looks little bit red then kittens has to put away immediately from mom! There is then bloodcells in urine and they can dead in worse case. BUT this has NEVER happend for me (with 15 babies from her with A male). I have never lost her babies and I hope I won´t.

Our laboratory (Genlab Niini) makes test from blood when I take Felv & fiv test - I want to know the anti A titer in blood every time. She had low first time and now it has went up and up every time. If I remember right it´s now about 128:1 or 1:128  it´s not so high but enough high to be careful with babies. If it´s low 32:1 you  can take risk to keep kittens with mom... but I woudn´t ever that take that risk. Dafi had such a low anti A titer in young age. She is now 7 years soon. If the titer is high the risk is bigger. But when you feed babies with hand first 20 hours there is not probably any problems.

And of course you have to wathc more carefully when queen starts to deliver... that there is no bad suprises in box... =/  I start watch her in 60 th pregnancy day and from 63th I wake up at least once in hour... or rather once in 45 minutes. Depends how fast your queen is and the lines behind her.

Oh and about vaccinations little bit. My vet recommends that 3 times vacccination for hand feed babies. First shot in age of 6 weeks when they don´t drink so much mom anymore and starts to lose immune from milk. Second time in age of 9 weeks and 3rd in age of 12 weeks. Notice that it must be dead vaccination!!!! And no other shots in first times!  Normally they don´t get any reaction from it. And then they get better immune system.

Some breeders has told that kittens gets more easily diarhea or so, but I my expreince is not that. If your basic hygiene is well done then the babies are just so healthy as kittens from A mom. Of course BEST is if you have any change to give babies for A queen for first 20 hours!!! Mom milk is always the best choise for newborn kitties!!!!